Why is it every time you want to grow your hair it seems to be so slow? Other times you’re fighting to cover up your regrowth every few weeks.
This is because your hair grows in various stages and sometimes it will be faster than others.
Here are our tips to get you to your dream length as soon as possible
1) Invest in a professional shampoo and conditioner that has been prescribed for your hair needs. There are a few reasons why prescribed products are more effective. Namely, the healthier the scalp the better the hair will grow. The hair environment is EVERYTHING. Also, if you have a conditioner that nourishes your hair properly, you can minimise the amount of length you need cut off as you’re growing it.
2) Wash your hair regularly (always after a sweaty exercise session), but not too often, you don’t want to strip too many of the natural oils; this will over simulate your *sebaceous gland and increase your oil production.
3) Reduce heated tools. Try drying naturally and always use a leave in heat protector when using thermal tools
4) Be gentle when brushing and drying your hair – Use Ugly Swan Scream Free Brush and Unicorn Towels.
5) Trim your hair regularly – as hair becomes damaged, the ends split causing breakage further up the hair shaft leading to shorter hair.
6) Treat your hair – Use a plex or peptide treatment weekly or come in and see us for a more specialised and deeper treatment. It’s not only great for your hair but an indulgent pamper session as well.
7) Moisture treatments are just as important as plex treatments. Plex treatments work on the inside of your hair to keep it strong while moisture treatments keep it soft and add elasticity – both are as important as each other.
8) Talk to your stylist about ‘future’ proof hair colouring so that you can go longer in between colour services.
9) Nutrition – your diet directly affects the condition of your skin, nails, and hair. Enjoy a balanced diet and try out Apotecari hair vitamins.
*A sebaceous gland is a microscopic exocrine gland in the skin that opens into a hair follicle to secrete an oily or waxy matter, called sebum, which lubricates the hair and skin of mammals.
If you’re a lover of science, you may be interested to learn that each hair is always in one of three growth phases:
THE ANAGEN PHASE
The Anagen phase is the period of growth. The cells in the hair bulb divide rapidly creating new hair growth. Hair actively grows from the roots for an average of 2-7 years before hair follicles become dormant. In this time, hair can grow anywhere between 18-30 inches. The length of this phase is dependent on your maximum hair length, which varies between people due to genetics, age and health.
THE CATAGEN PHASE
The second phase of your hair growth cycle is Catagen. This period is short, lasting only 2-3 weeks on average. In this transitional phase, hair stops growing and detaches itself from the blood supply and is then named a club hair.
THE TELOGEN PHASE
Finally, hair enters its third and final stage called the Telogen phase. This phase begins with a resting period, where club hairs rest in the root while new hair begins to grow beneath it. This phase lasts for around three months.
Ultimately, the best resource you can have when growing your gorgeous locks is a stylist who is as invested in your hair as you are. Why not book a complimentary consultation with the team at Eden today to get your long hair journey started?